Friday, July 8, 2011

Just an update - July 8th

We are back from an awesome trip.  I hiked about 20 miles.  The weather was perfect.  Those of you who are facebook friends, check out the photo album I posted last night.  My physical therapist said to rest often and keep my leg up.  I have extension hiking poles, so I developed the perfect height for resting my leg:





The best news is - I started to develop muscles in my left leg.  I could actually flex my calf muscle a bit.  It has been since Feb 22nd since I could use my leg "regularly".  I had a few brief days between biopsy & re-excision & lymph node biopsy where I could exercise.  Since May 2nd, I have done NOTHING with that leg.  My fear now is that the oncologist recommended another biopsy on my foot at the same location as before.  I see my surgeon on July 15th to evaluate the need (I am in denial and am convinced scar tissue is being mistaken for a possible growth.)  I will be back to hobbling again if I get another biopsy.

My Interferon treatments begin Monday, July 11th.  This has yet been another struggle to get call backs and move the health care forward.  I called June 28th to get this party started.  Since I did not receive a return call in two days, I called again and the secretary said "I know you are anxious, but I am waiting for a call back from the doctor."  Anxious is not the problem - she could have called me a day later and told me she was waiting on my doctor.  I did get a call from the doctor that afternoon and things were going to be set up (appointments made, insurance cleared) and I should expect a message on my machine with my appointment dates and times when I returned.  Well, no messages on return.  So, I started the daily "hounding" to keep things moving.  I still do not know WHEN (what time)  I am supposed to be getting the treatments.  Considering I have three other doctor appointments next week (dentist, new therapist, surgeon), I am sure I will have to juggle something (other than my middle fingers in frustration!)

Latest decision was that I will get a pick or stick instead of a port.  The stick is a catheter like tube that will go on the inside of my arm, to be used for the month of treatment.  The port is usually used for longer term situations (Chemotherapy for many months due to breast cancer or other cancers.).  The port involves the surgical center to put it in and take it out.  More appointments to juggle - which may have set me back a week.  The stick requires a flushing on the weekend that they would send a nurse to do.  I think Wallace can handle it. The downside is NO SWIMMING!  It is going to be a hot summer....

The next hurdle to jump: I called around and found a new Lymph-edema Therapist.  Today is my last day with Katy and she will give me a folder with a report and recommendations.  I need to have two reports faxed to another group from my surgeon (this should be interesting because I have to sign a release form, and the report is needed today).  I also need a new prescription written by my surgeon because the other one is over a month old.  I really thought I could just pick up the phone and keep the ball rolling on my treatments.  One facility could put me on a waiting list for mid-August.  That would have been a huge setback for me.

No progress on my new vendor for compression hosiery.  I will have to put that off until Monday because today I take Traz for his skin examination.  I feel so bad that he has to go through itl  I also feel bad about the sunburn he got as a baby.  These reflections, I can do without.

I think that about covers everything.  Thank-you for your prayers, and I must apologize in advance if I neglect to return calls or text messages.  It has been busy with packing and unpacking, sorting out bills, and chasing my appointments.  I will post again sometime next week.


NEXT STEPS: Mainly - get set up with new therapist; determine need for biopsy; start treatments; get new compression stocking vendor.

PSYCHE:  Bring it on!