Man, I thought I was tough and brave. Then Monday came. By 6 p.m. I was broken in body and spirit. No gory details, but the highlights were:
1) I was sick all night Sunday to Monday from eating something bad. Fever, burp barf, diarrhea. I wondered if they would even take me on Monday for my first treatment.
2) Things were smooth with the interferon treatment with the exception of the fact that they used my hand as the vein to deliver the drug after digging in my wrist for a vein. I specifically asked that they not use my hand because it is very sensitive. I guess the bulging veins are just to tempting. Not only that, but to "help" with my pick line procedure (scheduled for early afternoon) she said she was leaving it in because they would need it. Made sense.....I could tough it out. It was only two hours away.
3) We arrived at 12:30 for my 1:00 appt. At 2:00 they assured me I would be going back as soon as gurneys were ready (I think we need a new word for those rolling beds....gurney sounded serious.) At 3:00 I am achey, my hand hurts, I am feverish. Not sure if it was the interferon or the fact that I had been sitting in the waiting room for 2 1/2 hours already. I approach them - what's up? They then brought me back to an assigned location and I waited there for another hour. I was shivering and feverish. I had 12 heated blankets on me by the time they brought me in to have the pick line. (The nurse chatter indicated that they did not know I had arrived yet!)
4) They tell me they can't remove a line installed by another department - I may have to go back to the Chemo unit to get it removed. At this point I am pleading with them to get the damn line out of my hand. After the procedure (which also had a panic moment), I asked everyone who came near me to take the thing out. It hurt more than anything! Finally, the nurse in recovery took it out. There is a huge bruise and swelling.
5) My arm hurts now where they put the pick line in.
6) God Bless Traz, but he had to drive me home during rush hour traffic because UofP didn't take me in at 1:00 or 2:00 for some unknown reason. So, what little energy I had was focused on getting out of the city as a passenger. He did great. It shouldn't have been a worry.
So, if I didn't call you please don't be upset. I spent the night having a good cry and with a cold washcloth over my forehead. My fever subsided at around 8. AND I FEEL GREAT TODAY!!!.
PSYCHE: The worst must be over. I FEEL GREAT TODAY!!!.
NEXT STEPS: I have a list. I have a new Lymphademic Therapist and need to get new hosiery. Will do it tomorrow at 9. I have a dental appt at 7. (There better not be any issues.) I do an interferon treatment at 2. These all involved questions, phone calls, faxing of reports, etcetera. I thought I had the summer off!