A lot has been happening. My last day at work was yesterday. It was extremely hard to say good-bye (or see-ya-later) to my Energy Acquisition team at PECO. They took me to lunch and gave me an awesome floral arrangement. Another division of PECO, which I worked with for 3 years, had a bit of a happy hour on Tuesday, and I have another one scheduled for July 8th. Only, I just realized that this one will interfere with my July 8th physical therapy. I will just be late for happy hour by an hour!
I have decided to go to HUP (Univ. of Penn) for treatment. I will get a port installed next week and start my injections on July 11th. I called my friend Jenny to talk about the port. I don't like the idea of something sitting in me, even if it is just for a month. I really had no idea what it was and what it meant. She straightened me out and educated me on the benefits. I have small, hard to find veins. I also have scarring from donating blood 100 times (they never told me that downside!). The port is the way to go. My real concern was that I would have to limit my life still. I am just starting to walk normally, shower normally, and sit without my leg up. The port won't limit my hiking, biking, jogging (in my mind) and all the stuff I plan to get back doing. I need to exercise - I am a bit of a "house" right now.
My Lymph-edema Therapist told me yesterday that her last day was July 8th. She said she mentioned it after my first appointment (that would be my second appointment). I either believed that they would have a replacement for her, or was so consumed with other worries that I completely missed the dialogue. So, when I get back from camping/hiking I need to find another Lymphedemia PT. In addition, I need to find another vendor for my compression hosiery because the store I went to for my first set charged (they handled the billing) insurance $240 for a $75 item and I don't want to be a part of that scandal. My co-pay was $24 instead of $7.50 too! Not that money matters, but what the heck is going on with that insurance action?
Okay, so the Vermont trip is done. The Virginia trip is tomorrow. I hope to hike a bit of Shenandoah National Forest, get wet in a few waterfalls, and eat Smores. Yup, Smores - so I can move from being a house to being as big as a mansion! Yeah - that's me. Bulking up for the year of treatment! Watch, I will be the one who does not get nauseous. Like my first term of pregnancy - I ate everything and gained 15 pounds! (For those of you who don't know, usually you barf and don't eat the first trimester and don't gain an ounce!). Well, nobody will ever call me anorexic!
NEXT STEPS: Be a trooper through the first month of treatment. Get my strength back in my leg.
PSYCHE: Pensive.