Wednesday, June 22, 2011

In Limbo – June 22nd

Just waiting to heal and trying to build my strength.  The two moles that were biopsied were “mildly dysplastic” and no further action in needed.  Some doctors believe these can develop into melanoma, and some challenge that statement.  My dermatologist believes no further action is needed.  Fine with me!  We shall see what the Oncologist says!

I continue to do my exercises and started my first Physical Therapy treatments last night.  I will go 3 times a week for an hour or so.   I still wear the first pair of compression stockings that I purchased and am searching for an “in network” vendor that has the “open toe” product available.  I have only called 3, so far.  Working my way down the list, there has to be one nearby.

My “second opinion” appointment went well at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (HUP).  They were a little more positive about the Interferon route, but re-iterated the same weakness that Jefferson did: you don’t know which patient is going to respond well (eradicate the cancer or delay recurrence)  AND the therapy is most effective on patients who had ulcerated moles (which I did not).  It is still a crap shoot.  We discussed Sylatron (peginterferon alfa- 2b) which is a five year treatment versus Interferon (one year).  There are pros and cons to each, and we discussed it at great length.  I chose Interferon. 

The Vermont trip went fine.  We buried my dad’s ashes.  The 9 hours in the car, each way, was very easy.  I just stretched every two hours and enjoyed some very stiff drinks when I arrived.


I look forward to camping on the 4th of July.  Feel free to join us at Big Meadows in Shenandoah!

NEXT STEPS: Meet with Oncologist June 28th (Jefferson).  Decide which Hospital to use.

PSYCHE: Looking forward to my last day at work!!