Monday, June 13, 2011

Back at Work – June 13th


Much progress since the drain was removed.  I purchased my compression hosiery on Friday, but waited to wear it until the drain hole stopped dripping.  Sunday was the day to try my new purchase out.  It was pretty humorous to put on the first time.  Wallace was helping.  We were tugging and pulling and almost breaking my toes!  Only after a bit of a struggle, we read the directions.  No, you don’t put them on like panty-hose.  A completely different approach is needed.  The first try took 20 minutes and I was sweating.  Wallace and I took turns.   Today, it took me 10 minutes.  Since my groin scar & stitches are still pretty raw, I can only pull the stocking up to just above mid-thigh.  It will eventually be pulled all the way up my leg. 

Well, the compression stockings feel great.  My pain was cut in half.  The swelling that was compressing my tissues and stretching my skin just does not happen.  I am so happy with them.  I don’t even care that they look strange!    So, in all my delirium…. I decided to hit the gym.  I had to learn all of the weight machines and figure out which ones pulled too much on my stitches.   Wallace helped me through a few machines.  I looked longingly at the treadmill and elliptical (my preferred exercise).  I will be working my upper body and not doing any aerobic style workouts until I am healed a bit more.



I am working half days in the office and then going home to work a bit remotely.  I don’t think I will do an 8 hour day again (considering my last day is June 29th).

NEXT STEPS: Build up my “office stamina”.  Get to Vermont safely.

PSYCHE: Very happy to have my pain reduced and my level of activity greatly improved.