Since my cancer was gone, I decided to go to this appointment without Wallace. It was just a formality. However, as we spoke, I realized that there was concern that the cancer spread. Since the melanoma was deeper than 0.8, but we didn’t know how deep it was. My gut feeling crept up to my decision making. A Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy was recommended. I explained that I would probably not rest unless I knew for sure that the cancer did not travel. I did not believe “it’s a miracle, the melanoma is gone!” The doctor recommended I meet with a surgeon and set up the procedure. Also, I needed to contact my siblings and recommend they get their skin checked (hereditary factor), have my son get his moles checked, schedule a chest x-ray, get blood work completed, and set up surgery.
I left the office and went directly to have my blood work done. NOPE! Fasting required. I was able to get the chest x-ray right away. Blood work the next morning. Set up the pre-op consultation. (I hate these. Time wasters in my book. Time off from work. Fill out paperwork, la-te-da: How about, send me the forms, and do a phone consult).
It took me a little longer to set up my son’s appointment. A bit of guilt there. I hope the tendency for melanoma did not pass to him. I had already called most of my siblings to tell them to get their skin checked. (I am one of seven children. That is why I say “most of “ my siblings!
NEXT STEP: Go to Surgical pre-op appointment.
MY PSYCHE: I need this surgery to settle my mind.
No comments:
Post a Comment