Well, there I was, again. Another appointment, more forms. A med student in training. We chatted about the procedure. I felt I knew most of it already. The surgeon was nice. I felt comfortable because he was with Jefferson University Hospital ’s Surgical Oncology group. No worries. I explained that my main concern was that the anesthesiologist understood that I had a rare disease (Hereditary Coproporphyria) and that the drugs normally used needed to be checked against the list of harmful drugs posted on the American Porphyria Foundation Website. This was noted. I appreciated that the doctor didn’t “act like” he knew the disease. That is a big red flag of a pompous doctor. A few pointed questions after the doctor acting like a “know it all” usually diffuses the cockiness. I haven’t met one doctor yet who understood porphyria on the spot.
I left the office feeling very comfortable with the competency of my surgeon and the professionalism of his office. My surgery date was set for May 2nd. Just after Easter. On reflection, I see that this was a few weeks out. I probably could have saved a week here. But, there was really no rush because I showed no signs of cancer in the skin removed. Only 8% of the patients who have the Lymph Node Biopsy have signs of cancer. That certainly would not be me.
NEXT STEP: Get home and work in order and ready for surgery.
MY PSYCHE: Continue with the elliptical @ the gym. Maybe jog a little if my foot is good. Surgery? Just another teeny set-back.
No comments:
Post a Comment