The surgery is over and I made it through without complications! I dreaded the day and went to bed early the night before, just to stare at the ceiling and think. We arrived on Thursday morning at 7:30, and I was rolled off to surgery at 10:30. This time, I had an IV inserted to the top of my hand, which proved to be more painful than my surgery later in the day. I had to breathe in “oxygen” which was probably my anesthesia. It had that awful chemical smell. Nasty stuff. One day later, I can still taste it. I waved goodbye to the O.R. staff as I felt myself disconnecting from reality.
The surgery was a complete excavation of all the fatty tissue and lymph nodes in my left groin. A vein is also removed because it is in the same area, but it was explained to me that this vein is useless anyhow. The mass of cells is sent to pathology, and reports are to follow in a week. I have a tube inserted to drain the buildup of fluids. The idea is to NOT have the cavity fill with fluids. If the cavity is kept drained, the skin will reshape to fit close to the muscle. If this works as planned, it should reduce future lymphodema (fluid build up in the upper thigh.
After surgery, the lights were too bright (baseball cap time). I was hungry - peanut butter crackers never looked so good! I was thirsty too - adding a diet ginger ale to my order.
After surgery, the lights were too bright (baseball cap time). I was hungry - peanut butter crackers never looked so good! I was thirsty too - adding a diet ginger ale to my order.
Surgery finished around 1:00. At 5:00 pm I left the hospital with a Percocet in me for the ride home. This drug is absolutely awesome. I went from pain and verge of tears to joking about doing the Percocet Polka. The ½ hour ride home (no traffic) took 2 hours! We began our regimen of 1 percocet every 4 hours, wait an hour, do “pit stop” and empty the drain, measure the fluids, and lay back down.
It is now the day after surgery and I still feel the after effects of the anesthesia. I am taking percocet with peanut butter crackers, and plan to eat a bit later.
NEXT STEPS: Take one day at a time. Investigate Interferon.
PSYCHE: okay – mainly afraid of feeling the knife jabbing pain.