March 2nd, Dr. Winter called to let me know he needed to consult with me. The wart/mole was actually melanoma. At least 0.8mm in thickness (melanoma went "to the margins") and mitosis > 1. This means it is an agressive spreading melanoma, and I needed schedule a re-excision. Thursday March 3rd, my husband an I sat down with the doctor and discussed next steps.
I admire how they made calls for me and set up appointments with a dermatologic surgeon. I was frustrated when the earliest appointment I could get was March 15th. All I could think of was that the cancer was growing as I waited. It took a lot of mental brainwashing for me to think positive during this timeframe.
My initial biopsy site was not healing. It just kept oozing - I was convinced it was because all of the cells left in the biopsied are were actually cancer and were festering. Another mental battle.
I am very grateful that I have a great dermatologist who referred me to an excellent surgeon.
Next Steps: Get about 1 1/2 cm around the biopsied site removed, down to the fatty tissue and determine if there were melanoma cells in the surrounding area.
No comments:
Post a Comment