Saturday, May 14, 2011

Finding a Dermatologic Surgeon

My dermatologist explained that so much of the skin needed to be taken from such a skin tight, flexible area, that the surgery would be a little tricky.  If you look at the arch of your foot (and I have a high arch), you will see there is not any “extra skin” to pull a 1 ½ to 2 cm circular area together.  In addition, the force of the weight on the foot when you walk is pretty substantial.  My dermatologist wanted to find someone who could close the area in a creative way so the stitches would not just rip right out, and possibly someone who could do grafting.  His surgical partner did not feel comfortable with the surgery, so we set out to find a good surgeon.  One doctor did not pan out for me because he was on vacation and wanted a pre-op consultation.  The first appointment would be two weeks out.  The second surgeon panned out okay.  No pre-op consult and appt. set up for 3/15.  Unfortunately, I was also tasked with setting up an appt. with an oncologist, and they wanted the results from the 3/15 surgery, so I could not set up with them until after 3/22 – which was my initial appt time.  So, I called them and they shifted me out to 4/5!  I felt like I lost two weeks.  At least one week was lost.  But, they wanted to be for-sure, for-sure they had the pathology report.

I am very thankful for my dermatologist and his assistant.  They made referrals, phone calls, gave me a direct line into the nurse.  It was a bit unnerving – like maybe I had something serious going on.  It was the first time I’ve had my calls taken right away.

NEXT STEP: Get the re-excision.

MY PSYCHE: Worried.

No comments:

Post a Comment